The University of Texas School of Dentistry (UTSD) has a new home – a 300,000 square foot, six-story facility that cost $155 million to build over three years, creating more than 1,700 jobs along the way.
Located at 7500 Cambridge St. in the UT Research Park, the dental school continues to be part of the Texas Medical Center (see MAP) and is the second new building to open in UT Research Park this year. On May 9, the 14,000-square-foot Denton A. Cooley, M.D. and Ralph C. Cooley, D.D.S. University Life Center was dedicated. Both it and the new dental school are part of UT Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth). Both projects were designed by WHR Architects of Houston, with Hensel Phelps Construction Co. as the general contractor.
For nearly 60 years, the School of Dentistry had been located at 6516 M.D. Anderson Blvd., 1 mile north of the new location. Images and memories of that building were featured in a special episode of UTSD V-flash!, a video series hosted by Dean John A. Valenza, DDS.
UTSD opened in 1905 as the privately owned Texas Dental College, joining UT System in 1943. It is the oldest dental school in Texas and currently has approximately 500 students and 175 employees. The school has accredited programs in dentistry, dental hygiene, six dental specialties and two general practice residency programs.