The mission of the Academy is to promote, support, recognize and reward the scholarship of teaching and learning at The University of Texas School of Dentistry at Houston.
Goals and Objectives
The academy and its members are focused on 10 goals and objectives:
- Serve as role models and mentors to faculty, residents and students in the member’s pursuit of excellence in the scholarship of teaching and learning.
- Assist the dean, departmental Chairs, the Office of Educational Research and Professional Development and the Faculty Development Committee in evaluating, recognizing and rewarding exceptional teachers.
- Complement the efforts of the Office of Educational Research and Professional Development by promoting and facilitating the professional development of teaching faculty through continuing education opportunities, educational research, and peer review.
- Promote intellectually rigorous teaching practices, integrity and scholarship in health professions education.
- Encourage interdisciplinary dialogues about teaching and learning, working to remove internal barriers to interprofessional education and to promote collegiality in the academic community.
- Increase understanding of the teaching and learning processes in order to promote evidence-based teaching practices.
- Enhance the organizational culture of teaching excellence in the School of Dentistry, advocate teaching as a core element of the mission of The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth) and recognize and reward those who demonstrate excellence in teaching.
- Define and implement institutional structures that support teaching and learning excellence.
- Create a positive and professional teaching and learning environment.
- Collect, develop and disseminate resources that promote excellence in teaching and learning.