In May 1948, Edward C. Hinds was appointed as the first chairman of the Department of Oral Surgery at the University of Texas School of Dentistry - Houston. At that time there was no formal oral surgery training program in Texas. Having earned his medical and dental degrees from Baylor College of Medicine and Baylor College of Dentistry respectively, Dr. Hinds was the ideal individual to establish a new surgical specialty in Houston.
On July 1, 1949, the first two residents arrived at Jefferson Davis Hospital which was located on Allen Parkway. These two residents were “borrowed” from Charity Hospital of Louisiana, New Orleans for one year with the stipulation they would return after the Houston program was established. Since the inauguration of the program, there have been 185 residents who have graduated from Houston. The length of the residency has evolved from a single track, two-year program to twin programs of four and six year durations. The six-year program enables the resident to earn a medical degree from the U-T Medical School and both tracks award graduates with a certificate of training from a fully accredited program.
A special program allows qualified residents to earn a PhD during their residency and to date, two residents have taken advantage of this opportunity. The residents rotate through the School of Dentistry and different hospitals in the Texas Medical Center including Memorial Hermann Hospital, The Methodist Hospital, the V.A Medical Center, Ben Taub and Lyndon B. Johnson General Hospitals and new rotations are being developed with the Shriners Hospital and Wilford Hall Medical Center in San Antonio.
The Department also enjoys a close research affiliation with Rice University and several of the department’s faculty hold adjunct appointments with the Department of Bioengineering. Current research activities focus on tissue regeneration and the Department receives funding from a variety of sources including the NIH and the Department of Defense. The training program at UTHealth is the largest and one of the most highly ranked in the United States. Presently six residents are selected from an applicant pool of 150 – 200 candidates. A highly motivated alumni organization, the Hinds Academy, strongly supports the Department’s educational, service and research activities through a separate foundation, the Hinds Foundation. There are seven full time and seven part time faculty members in the Department.
Since the program’s founding in 1948, there have been three chairmen of the Department:
|Edward C. Hinds||1948-1983|
|John C. Helfrick||1984-2000|
|Mark E. K. Wong||2000-present|
The Program Directors since 1949, responsible for residency training, are as follows:
|Edward C. Hinds||1949-1963|
|John E. Pleasants||1963-1975|
|Hubert W. Woodward||1976-1977|
|John C. Adams||1977-1981|
|John E. Helfrick||1984-1988|
|Terry D. Taylor||1988-1993|
|James V. Johnson||1993-1994|
|Michael G. Donovan||1994-1996|
|Mark E. K. Wong||1996-present|
The Department’s members and alumni have been active in various national and international associations representing the specialty. The Association of American Society of Oral Surgeons was founded in 1918 and later became the Association of American Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. Two alumni have served as President:
|Edmund I Parnes (65)||1996|
|Mark W. Tucker (72)||2007|
The American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery the certifying agency for the specialty, was founded in 1946 and two of our alumni have served as President:
|John N. Kent (69)||1989|
|Robert Dean White (74)||2000|
Our Department Chairman, Mark E. K. Wong is the current president (2010 – 2011) President of the ABOMS.
Residents who have completed the program are in practice all over Texas and the United States, and a few practice in foreign countries including Taiwan, Thailand, Italy, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Canada and Switzerland. The success of our graduates in their communities has strengthened the reputation of the Department and helped make Houston one of the most sought after residency programs for oral and maxillofacial training in the world.